January 24, 2009

One of my worst fears comes True!

Since becoming a mother there are a few things that just freak me out, and scare the crap out of me, things I wish never to happen, and one of things came to reality for me last night, I broke down on the side of the freeway in the heaviest fog we have had in years with both Brielle and Daniel......and to make matters worse I had no headlights, no hazards and my phone was minutes from dying! Well this is how my night went.....this is gonna be long so be ware.....It started back about a month ago when my mom came to me and offered us my Grandma's car, my Grandma is now in a assisted living home and can no longer drive, so instead of the car just sitting in her garage my mom and aunt offered us to take the car and use it while Jason finishes up school, I was so excited, in our 4 years of marriage we have never had 2 cars, so this was going to be SO nice. We decided yesterday was the day that I would pick up the car. So after picking up the car, getting everything situated and the kids in there car seats we were finally ready to head home, at this point it was already 8:30 and I was dreading the drive because of the fog, as I left my parents house I could barely see 20 feet in front of me but by the time I hit the freeway it wasn't so bad, so off I went, it was probably around 7200 south I started noticing the car acting a little funny, but didn't think much of it, but then I noticed the temp gage was starting to go up........and up....and up, and at this point as well the fog was getting worse again...to the point where I couldn't see a thing, at that point I decided I should probably pull over and see whats going on, and that is when my night took a turn for the absolute worse, as I started to pull of the first exit I could tell the car was dying on me, when I pushed on the gas it wouldn't speed up, and my lights started to dim, and I had no idea if I was on or off the freeway either.....so I finally was able to pull off, I didn't make it all the way off the exit, I was just barely off the freeway and just barely off the side of the road, as I sat there I would all of a sudden see headlights coming right at me from behind, I can't tell you how many times I sat there with my face clenched hoping and praying no one would hit me, I tried to start the car again and nothing, it was at that point I knew I wasn't going to make it home, so I first called my parents to see if they knew about any problems with the car or what I should do, so being the amazing parents they are they hoped in there car and headed my way to help me out, then I made the call to Jason, he immediately left work and headed my way as well. As I was sitting there I knew I had to try and get off the exit, because at any moment a car might not see me because of the fog and just ram into the back of us, oh and did I mention as well, at this point I had no hazard lights, and no headlights, I was able to turn my brights on, they were pretty dim though, so after about 15 min I tried starting the car again, and it started but you could tell it was really struggling, I managed to start driving again, and as I did i saw a sign to a gas station. I was hoping I could make it, but that wasn't the case, as i got to the bottom of the exit the car was starting to die on me again, and the light was red, ugh.....all I could think of was I cannot let this car die here, someone for sure would hit me, so instead of waiting for the light I ran it.....and not just one light, but 2! The only thing I kept thinking was I have to get somewhere safe to pull over so no one would hit us....I finally had no choice where to pull over, the car just died in the right lane, so I was half in a lane and half off the road......grrrrr, I was just in tears at this point, so as I sat there waiting for Jason and my parents I just kept looking back at my sweet kids asleep in the car, and thinking please let us be safe. As I sat there waiting a couple of cars stopped to ask if I needed help, and me being paranoid, and someone who has watched one to many crime shows kindly says no, but in the back of my mind kept thinking please just drive away, and please don't talk to me, and please don't get out of the car, and please oh please don't hurt me and my family. But luckily all the people were very nice and after my kind yet very stern response they left us. It was also at this point my phone was minutes from dying, every time I tried to call Jason or my parents to see how close they were my phone would beep at me, and I would get that annoying alert that my battery was about dead......seriously, how could my night get any worse???? So after what seemed be an eternity, both my parents and Jason showed up, the only thing we could do at that point was to try and jump start it, with the fog, and being pitch black outside we couldn't really tell what was wrong or get a good look at the car, but luckily it started after we jumped it, once we started it we decided we would all follow each other to my house to make sure everything was okay. We didn't make it 10 minutes when the car did it again, at that point we knew for sure this car was not going to make it, at this point it was late, the kids were awake and crying and I was a total mess as well, we decided to leave it at the gas station and we would get it towed in the morning and just take it from there, I just physically and mentally could not deal with it any more that night, I was done......so my parents left and headed home then we left and headed home and my Grandma's car stayed parked in the gas stations parking lot......wow, what a night I had. This was by far one of the worst nights I have ever had.....not only was I stranded on the side of the road, but I was stranded with my 6 month old, my 3 year old by myself! I'm just glad that night is over and I am so grateful for my parents and Jason for coming to my rescue......honestly I have never been that scared before in my entire life.

4 comments:

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

oh my heck that's awful. I'm so sorry you had to go thrugh that. If your phone had some more juice left you should have called us, we live really close to that area & we could have come to your rescue.

Anonymous said...

Thats is one of my biggest fears to. I totally feel for you that sucks! I;m so glad you are all safe. That had to be so scary!

Melissa said...

Oh man! The Lord was watching over you girl! I'm so so grateful that you are safe and everything worked out. I was out driving in that fog too, it was awful, so you had to be freaked out, I totally would be! So glad you guys are okay :o)

BrittanyB said...

how awful! I would have been a total wreck too! So glad you guys made it home safe and sound though.